Farm worker wins accident claims caseRSS Feed
Twenty-year-old David McMullan was electrocuted when an irrigation pipe he was lifting made contact with a 33,000 volt overhead power line.
As a result, Mr McMullan, from County Antrim, suffered internal injuries and extensive burns leading to the amputation of his big toe.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Waldersley Farms, which owns 11,000 acres in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, gave unsatisfactory training and information to employees and contractors.
Waldersley Farms was fined £10,000 with £2,223.38 in costs after admitting to breaching the Electricity at Work regulations.
HSE inspector Stephen Faulkner said that the incident was entirely preventable.
"This was a horrible incident which was entirely preventable had his employers made Mr McMullan aware of the overhead power lines and the risk they posed to the working environment," he explained.
Meanwhile, a building firm has been fined after a man was crushed to death when a fork-lift boom fell on the car he was in.
Accident claims advice from Serious Law
Posted by T B Walters