Chemical company fined after accident at workRSS Feed
A company has been forced to pay out £20,000 after a man was badly burnt in an accident at work.
David Lightfoot, 58, was welding at Indorama Polymers (Workington) Ltd's site in Siddick when he was engulfed in a fireball.
The grandfather was working on a silo containing 380 tons of Terephtalic acid, a highly flammable material, when the temporary bung fell out, allowing approximately 15 grams of the powder to escape and be ignited by the welding gun.
Along with another worker, he was forced to jump from the ten foot platform but was left with severe burns to his head, face, arms and hands.
He was in intensive care for three days due to breathing difficulties caused by swelling to his tongue and throat and is still being treated over two years after the incident.
Mr Lightfoot said: "I had to take a year off work to recover, and I still have injections in my forehead and face to try to reduce the scarring. I'll probably be scarred for the rest of my life though."
Meanwhile, three firms were fined following an accident at work when an electrician was left unable to work after being trapped under a wall which he was attempting to lift with six other men.Back to Accident claim news news